Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Remembering Michael Jackson

I was in Calabar, a city which is unarguably Nigeria's hub of tourism when I received a text message from my younger sister about Michael Jackson's death. It was a sad thing to hear and I was touched because MJ who is peharps the most popular individual on the face of the earth, who we also know had faced a lot of challenges, had nodded to death.

Birthday celebrations durring my childhood years were never complete if songs by Michael Jackson were not played. I marvelled at his record of the highest selling album till date. I am often excited that my name was Michael too; because of some achievers whom I call the great Michaels. Some of them include; Michael Jordan, Michael Tyson, Micheal Douglas, Michael Bolton, Michael Faraday, Michael West, Michael Owen, Michael Johnson, Michel(Michael)Schumacar, Michael Ballack. Interestingly even in the heavenly realm St. Michael the arch angel presides over the angels. Among all the moral Michaels, Michael Jackson towered above them all in terms of his influence and popularity.

A few days later, the news had it that some of his fans were commiting suicide because of the grief they had over his death, I was saddened by this fact. Also, many fans could not hold back tears whenever they remember their idol, Michael Jackson. I know Michael Jackson was immensely gifted but I was not so emotional about his demise.

However, on the day of Michael Jackson's memorial, when thousand s of fans gathered at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, 12 days after he died on June 25, 2009 to honour the musical legend. I was so moved as I listened to eulogies showerd on him. It was on that day that his death touched my heart the most. As I watched the event on CNN, I wondered how one man could have such an influence in the world. We will miss his display of his unique talents, creativity, stage craft and wits.

It was a moment of adrenaline flow for me. I had goose pimples all over my body. I believe, many viewers had a similar feeling. Michael Jackson was ahead of his time. He always thought about and conceived the impossible and the yet unattained. He broke new barriers. He left a legacy of hard work, dedication and persistence.

MJ, may have had his weak points but his successes far out classes them. While he lived, he built on his strenghts durring his prime. Michael was on top of his game. Who will forget the great lyrics of his songs or his moon walking and other dance steps?

You can rise to the highest point on your ladder. You can be on top of your game. Stand up, go for your dreams. One day, the world will celebrate you...but what matters most is when the angels in heaven blow trumpets saying 'well done, welcome...'

No comments:

Post a Comment